SPURRING TRASNFORMATION FOR AGRICULTURE THROUG H REMOTE SENSING’’ (STARS) IN KOFA BEBEJI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF KANO STATE 2015.
STARS project is a global project sponsored by Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. ZASTAL, BUK and ICRISAT team up together to carry out the project. The aim of the project is to Assess remote sensing’s potential to retrieve crop status information at local to sub national scales in heterogeneous smallholder production systems.
1. To Engage and mobilize communities, farmers, agro dealers and other stakeholders for effective implementation of the project.
2. To develop an imagery backbone for rural land tenure geodatabase
3. To Set up experimental on-farm trials, and in the preparation of field monitoring protocols
4. To Facilitate participating trials, support Remote Sensing measurements and organize for data entry
5. To Facilitate the development of Agricultural Land Information service
6. To Support the generation and encoding of Remote Sensing data
FLOOD MAPPING, PREDICTION AND DEVELOPMENT OF EARLY WARNING IN JIGAWA STATE 2018
The aim of the project is to map, predict flood vulnerable areas and create an early warning system for Jigawa State. The specific objectives are:
• Use Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing technologies to produce flood risk map for use in flood control program in the State
• Use the available data to predict future flood occurrence in Jigawa State
• Analyze and model flood vulnerability with respect to socio-economic factors associated with people in the affected communities across Jigawa state
• To determine the management strategies in the upstream sector leading to flood in Jigawa state
TRIMMING (TRANSFORMING IRRIGATION MANAGEMENT IN NIGERIA) PROJECT 2014-2021
The Federal Ministry of Water Resources, ICRISAT, CDA BUK, ASTAL Kano team up to carry out the project the project is ongoing and is aim at improving access to irrigation and drainage services and to strengthen institutional arrangements for integrated water resources management and agriculture service delivery in selected large-scale public schemes in Northern Nigeria.
• Assessment of salt remediation techniques used by the farmers
• Evaluating the effectiveness of salinity/sodicity remediation methods by farmers
• Investigating Spatio-Temporal salt built up and mapping prone areas
• Monitoring of groundwater level fluctuations and quality
• Experiments for amendment of salt affected areas
• Field trails for selecting improved rice and tomato varieties tolerant to heat, salt, pest and diseases
• Field trails on improving Integrated Soil Fertility Management
• Evaluating the performance of WUA in operation and maintenance of Irrigation facilities
• Capacity building of farmers and water managers in soil salinity/sodicity management
• Development of a web-GIS database
• Analysis of Community Perception on the Effect of Soil Salinity and Sodicity on Households’ Livelihood
LAND USE LAND COVER OF KEBBI STATE 2019
Land use consists of the activities carried out by humans on the Earth’s surface (agriculture, industries, recreation, transportation, etc) while land cover consists of the natural and artificial cover on the Earth’s surface (settlements, roads, dams, agriculture, etc). The variety of land use and land cover data needs is exceedingly broad. Current land use and land cover data are needed for the following:
➢ Water- resource inventory (rivers, dams, lakes, ponds, water-supply planning and waste- water treatment)
➢ Environmental impact assessment
➢ Land policy formulation
➢ Demarcation of grazing reserves and cattle routes
➢ Forest resources and other vegetation types
➢ Soil and land resources inventory
➢ Settlements (cities, urban, rural, makeshift, etc)
➢ Agriculture (farmlands, irrigation, livestock, fisheries, etc)
➢ Rocks and solid minerals
➢ Transport systems (roads, bridges, culverts, railways, airports, etc)
➢ Environmental degradation (desertification, floods, erosion, land pollution)
➢ Population estimates
➢ Change detections
➢ Agricultural planning (capability and suitability analyses, pest and diseases control, fertilizer estimates, yield forecasts, etc)
➢ Urban, rural and regional planning
➢ Forecasts and projections
• Location, extraction and mapping of the land resources in Kebbi state.
• Delineation of land uses- land cover for the entire state using satellite imagery
• Develop a Web GIS database system for land resources.
• Comprehensive map of the different land use land cover types of the state
• Shape files and images of the different features and polygons (land types, vegetation, state and LGA boundaries, hydrology, rocks, roads, etc)
• Web map database in digital format for proper decision making would be provided.
• All-important maps will be produced on high quality paper as may be needed by the states
for more details on these projects and more projects ,contact us at faculty of Earth and Enviromental Studies Bayero University Kano
Let’s Work Together
Get in touch so we can start working together.